The Andover/North Andover YMCA is expanding to make healthier lives achievable for everyone.
The Merrimack Valley YMCA Board of Directors formally voted to approve the Master Plan for the expansion of the Andover/North Andover YMCA. This approval marks a significant milestone that will allow the Merrimack Valley YMCA to formally begin the transformation of its Andover/North Andover YMCA branch. The Merrimack Valley YMCA is in the final stages of the permit approval process, the Groundbreaking Ceremony will take place on Friday, March 28th at 9:00am.
Based on the approved Master Plan, the Andover/North Andover YMCA is expected to:
- Double its existing aquatics space with the construction of a multipurpose pool and modernize the existing pool filtration and HVAC systems
- Double the available space for fitness and group exercise
- Include a new child development center for preschool and school aged children
- Add a new Active Living Center for older adults
- Renovate existing locker rooms
- Add an Active Learning STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Center for youth and teens
- Include space for the Merrimack Valley YMCA’s healthcare partner, Lawrence General Hospital to provide physical therapy and other community based health resources
The cost of this expansion project will be $21 million and will be funded by the fundraising of the Merrimack Valley YMCA and tax exempt bond financing provided by Enterprise Bank.
Meanwhile the expansion project continues to attract strong financial support as evidenced by recently announced leadership gifts from Victor J. Mill III in the amount of $250,000 to name the health care partner space and from The Highland Street Foundation in the amount of $250,000.